Mrs. Adam Smith and Mrs. William Wilson, who lost sons overseas, headed a committee to erect a cenotaph in Eugenia Park. The statue depicts a soldier standing at attention. Two canons were donated by the War department. The cenotaph was dedicated on July 21, 1921. It was the first cenotaph built in this part of the country, and took two years of planning and fund-raising.